So then...

About Me

Welcome to my blog. My pen name is Eva James. I'm an aspiring writer paying the bills working as a legal secretary. Bullied by my boss in 2008, I looked for another job but the recession hit. Feeling trapped, I started this blog. Trevor Griffiths, legendary theatre, TV and film writer said at the outset, "I like the writing a lot: smart, cool, placed. If you were prepared/able to take your prick of a boss on, you'd marmelise him." I was unaware back then that it would catalogue one of the most extreme cases of workplace bullying in the UK. I've found another job, but am subject to a gagging order. I'm still blogging, of course. Just don't tell the lawyers!

Saturday 31 October 2009

Who's Who

I should have done this first, but hey-ho. Before we go any further, here’s an essential introduction to a few key players in my office environment.

Howard is my boss. He’s a young-ish solicitor with a spiteful sense of humour and a catalogue of morbid obsessions. The only thing Howard encourages is my suicide. As he tested the banisters to see if they would hold my weight, I phoned around the temp agencies but was told, “There’s a recession on – keep your head down.” Keep my head down? Keeping my chin up is the hard part.

I could speak up but our firm is headed by Philip, a taciturn Glaswegian Company Director with an impossible temper. He has an incomprehensible accent and a penchant for kicking his cabinets. Complaints about the operation of his company get you fired.

By the CVs coming in - they know we haven’t a choice - we can be replaced by forty others. But if I have to sit in this hot seat five days a week then I want you with me. Perhaps you’ll be objective.

Maybe I’m being oversensitive. Maybe it is all right that when Howard last made me a cup of tea, he put the teabag down his trousers first.

See you soon

Eva x

No comments:

Bottom Swirl