So then...

About Me

Welcome to my blog. My pen name is Eva James. I'm an aspiring writer paying the bills working as a legal secretary. Bullied by my boss in 2008, I looked for another job but the recession hit. Feeling trapped, I started this blog. Trevor Griffiths, legendary theatre, TV and film writer said at the outset, "I like the writing a lot: smart, cool, placed. If you were prepared/able to take your prick of a boss on, you'd marmelise him." I was unaware back then that it would catalogue one of the most extreme cases of workplace bullying in the UK. I've found another job, but am subject to a gagging order. I'm still blogging, of course. Just don't tell the lawyers!

Thursday 25 February 2010

Guardian Angel

This morning, when Howard asked me if I did much last night, I paused.

I wasn't going to tell him I’d been celebrating an article I’d written about anonymous bloggers which appeared on The Guardian on-line careers blog.

“Quiet one,” I told him.

“You’re so dull your life would speed up if I put you in a bloody retirement home. Socially it would give you a boost.”

“Perhaps you’ve broken my spirit,” I joked.

“I was aiming for your neck.”

Howard went on to say he’d changed his mind about euthanasia. He’d been all for it, but since meeting me he’s realised that although some people lead shit lives, there are those determined to keep breathing no matter what.

“I’ve come to understand that just because I’d kill myself rather than live your life, it isn’t necessarily the case you feel the same way.”

He stared at me and shrugged.

We are so used to Howard's ‘pro-Eva euthanasia’ that a few months ago, when the Office Manager found the BBC website “Guidance on Assisted Suicide” notes lying by the photocopier, she handed them to me believing Howard had forgotten to put them on my desk.

They’d actually belonged to a solicitor who was doing some legitimate research.

“I think the Dignitas Clinic is in Geneva,” Howard continued. “Easy Jet are doing good prices one way if you’re interested and you don’t have to make a final decision till you get there. No pressure though. Like I said –I’ve come to see things differently.”

He'll also come to see things differently if he checks out The Guardian careers blog.
See you soon.

Eva x

2 comments:

Fiona WordsBird said...

This may be a painfully obvious and stupid suggestion... but have you ever tried mirroring his comments about YOUR life with an immediate snap-back comment about HIS (ie his bullying situation at home)?

It's childish and a bit lazy, I know. But then, so is the practice of bullying.

All that aside though, I'm thrilled to see your spirit seeping back into your postings.

You are much less the victim now.

* does little celebratory dance *

And congrats on the Guardian Angel!!!!!!!

davek said...

I just read about this blog on the guardian website and I have spent the last hour reading every post from start to finish. I feel absolutely sick to the stomach and desperately sorry for you Eva. You can find another job, regardless of the economy, but first of all you need to take this EVIL EVIL man to court for such inhuman behaviour. I can tell you honestly, if you were a member of my family and someone was putting you through such disgusting abuse I would hospitalise this guy HOWARD, I am sitting here in absolute shock at what I have just read and I think I'm going to have difficulty sleeping tonight. You need to seek help, by trying to ignore his behaviour you are only perpetuating it. You should not blame yourself for anything yet I can see that he has victimised you to such an extent that you are starting to believe the things he says about you. Seek help, there are many people out there who can help you. You are right to try and keep records of all that happens, as one day this maggot will get his comeuppance. He has no excuse, even if his life at home is a misery that does not condone his behaviour for a second. Please do something to help yourself, I can't bear to read any more about your suffering although I can't help myself from reading your posts in incredulity. Hang in there Eva x dave

Bottom Swirl