So then...

About Me

Welcome to my blog. My pen name is Eva James. I'm an aspiring writer paying the bills working as a legal secretary. Bullied by my boss in 2008, I looked for another job but the recession hit. Feeling trapped, I started this blog. Trevor Griffiths, legendary theatre, TV and film writer said at the outset, "I like the writing a lot: smart, cool, placed. If you were prepared/able to take your prick of a boss on, you'd marmelise him." I was unaware back then that it would catalogue one of the most extreme cases of workplace bullying in the UK. I've found another job, but am subject to a gagging order. I'm still blogging, of course. Just don't tell the lawyers!

Thursday 10 June 2010

Nuclear style

Last Friday, my solicitor gathered all the documents Howard swore didn’t exist.

They were the documents Howard assured Senior Management I was making up. He said the documents had to be an “elaboration,” a work of fiction from a deranged, lonely individual who couldn't tell fact from fiction.

When my solicitor scanned them all and e-mailed them to Howard and friends they all went into meltdown. Nuclear style.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I was stewing in depression, completely oblivious that a couple of miles away Howard and Senior Management were imploding. I don't know why my solicitor didn't tell me what he was about to do, but this is what happened:-

1.They issued an immediate Temporary Reporting Order to stop me talking to the press and followed it with an application for Permanent Reporting Order.

2.They threw a settlement offer on the table in the financial bracket that would be awarded at Tribunal for serious sexual harassment and discrimination.

3.Howard was told he would have to pay the lion’s share of the settlement himself out of his own pocket.

4.They agreed, without argument, I can write anonymously about workplace bullying and harassment and draw upon my personal experiences to do so.

It’s over, bar the signature on the Compromise Agreement.

I know it’s no Hollywood ending. I didn’t get to turn up to Court looking amazing. My barrister didn’t humiliate Howard and force him to admit he did wrong. My old firm didn’t promise to treat their staff better.

However, maybe I've taught them a little lesson.

Don't underestimate writers!

See you soon,


Eva x

2 comments:

Mr Fan said...

Well done, it doesn' need to be a hollywood ending, at least you had the courage to put your foot in the water and put your point across.He knows he has made a big mistake, althought they say old dogs never change maybe he will think twice from his twisted ways.

Your ambitions sound great and you could always use this as a motivational edge for your aspirations and to keep your guard up and never let anyone put you down. x

Bullied By The Boss said...

Thanks Mr Fan.

I can't let myself end up in a terrible mess like this again.

Am hoping to blog the rise and rise of Bullied by the Boss.

Look out for the self-help workplace bullying book, the stage play and the hit musical. x

Bottom Swirl