So then...

About Me

Welcome to my blog. My pen name is Eva James. I'm an aspiring writer paying the bills working as a legal secretary. Relentlessly bullied by my former boss, I looked for another job but the recession hit. Feeling trapped, I recorded everything in this blog, which serves as a revealing insight into workplace bullying. WEEK 1 starts the story and, as the weeks progress, you'll note what starts as banter soon spirals out of control. Sadly, it's all true. Whilst along the way I've found alternative employment, my passion for blogging about workplace bullying remains. Trevor Griffiths, legendary theatre, TV and film writer said at the outset, "I like the writing a lot: smart, cool, placed. If you were prepared/able to take your prick of a boss on, you'd marmelise him."

Saturday, 1 September 2012

WEEK 242 The Lady Vanishes


For the first time in ages, I didn’t post a blog last week.

There were a variety of reasons. The first was that it was a Bank Holiday and in true 3-day weekend tradition I painted my flat, so my desk found itself tugged away from the wall and covered in dust sheets.

And then, as I filled up my DIY store trolley with rollers and tins of Dulux, I realised the subject of workplace bullying has been non-existent in the media for months. True, the Olympics have taken centre stage – but it’s more than that. One reason may be that Vince Cable’s employment reforms have all been rolled out, so his ridiculous “we’re doing it for the good of the workers” press releases have come to an end. Another reason might be that there have been fewer high profile Tribunal cases recently.

You’d be forgiven for thinking that workplace bullying has disappeared. Maybe I’m being cynical, but it’s a magician’s trick. It’s stage magic: smoke and mirrors. The unglamorous subject of workplace bullying has been dropped through the stage via a trap door and landed with a thud on an old mattress.

“Ta-da!” Announces Houdini Cable to his employer friends. “Workplace bullying? What workplace bullying?”

Workplace bullying is still going on and raising awareness at such times is essential or else targets of workplace bullying feel even more alone. And here’s my own spooky prediction - when the theatrical smoke clears, I believe those experiencing workplace bullying will have sadly multiplied.

Very best
BBTB

1 comment:

The Flavour Co said...

Interesting and worrying. I doubt that bullying has suddenly stopped. I think many working people are simply slogging away in silence, terrified to even look up from their desks in case they lose their job in this tough employment climate.

I was bullied out of my last job, and in that place bullying was routine. A former colleague who worked freelance there came to see me yesterday and said last time he had been there people seemed to be working so hard they barely looked up when he came in. Most of them have already had their salaries slashed.

Some would say this is understandable in a small business that is probably struggling to survive in the recession. But the owner of the company, who is notorious for her aggressive bullying, has just had a holiday in Hawaii and was also recently bragging about a new watch she'd bought for thousands of pounds, this former colleague told me.

Bottom Swirl